Posts Tagged "Bilbo Baggins"


After a frenetic binge-watch of Breaking Bad (only my second viewing) and after seeing most of Malcolm in the Middle, I’m convinced that Bryan Cranston is the man I’ve seen most often in his underwear, with the exception of two other men. So—Cranston ranks number three. Of course, my husband is the number one wearer of underwear in front of me. Number two was my father. He was of the boxer variety (Bob and Bryan...

Read More

I just finished reading Stacy Schiff’s Cleopatra. It was okay; I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads, then put it in my book bag as a donation to wherever, since I don’t plan to read it again. My takeaway was this: 1. Politicians were incredibly corrupt. 2. The 1% ruled the world and didn’t give a shit about the remaining 99%. 3. A truly powerful woman will certainly not be a saint, but she will undoubtedly engender all...

Read More

Yes, I came out of my closet and concluded that I hate all of my clothes. ALL of them, every single item. Pretty much every item. Well, I guess I can live with a few pieces… I suppose this stems from a rather chronic dissatisfaction with my body in general. But perhaps this is how every woman feels? Nora Ephron felt bad about her neck and I can certainly sympathize, especially now that I’m past 50. She also could remember...

Read More

My mom occasionally liked to see films at our local art cinema, The Guild. One day she took us to see And Now For Something Completely Different, starring a band of relatively obscure Brits collectively known as Monty Python’s Flying Circus. I was ten and my sister was seven. It was 1972—why wasn’t she taking us to see some Disney film, like Napoleon and Samantha? Thank goodness she didn’t. In the end, my mom...

Read More

When I was researching my original cookbook, I discovered that your basic traditional mincemeat pie was (of course, duh) made partially of meat. It usually had large amounts of beef suet as well, which was something I had usually relegated to bird feeders. I came across a recipe and made some modifications, which really means I omitted the meat and suet. However, the amount of alcohol in the filling made the whole thing—to be...

Read More